Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

I spent Thursday and Friday of last week at the TAGT (Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented) Conference and learned so much!  I always tend to get so much information at these conferences and have to remind myself not to come back and try it all at once.  After coming home and processing all that I learned, I wanted to take some time to share some of my favorite things from TAGT 2013.
  • Dr. Brian Housand's 60 Tech Tools in 60 Minutes presentation - I loved the format of this session.  He flew through 60 different tech tools explaining what they could be used for and where they could be found. My hand was a little sore because I was writing so fast, but it was great.  
  • DIY.org - This was one of the tools shared in Dr. Housand's 60in60 session.  When I got back to the hotel room and checked it out, I was SO excited!  It is the perfect tool for Genius Hour and Innovative Classrooms.  I shared with my kids today and they loved it.  I can't wait to share with my students!
  • Global Garden Project - Krissy Venosdale shared this project in her Global Connections session. I learned so many great ways to bring the world into my classroom but this was my favorite. I love the thought of sharing all of the data and making connections with classrooms all over the world. What a great way to get students excited about learning!
  • Student Exhibits - I always enjoy the student exhibits at TAGT and this year was no exception.  I am always amazed by the wonderful work that students can do when they are able to investigate, discover, and create.  As I walked by each exhibit and saw the passion each student had for his/her project, I couldn't help but be encouraged and motivated by their work.  
  • Dr. Temple Grandin - We were blessed to hear Dr. Grandin speak on Friday morning and it was fascinating.  She is such an inspiration and spoke some wonderful truths.  She emphasized how students need to do real world stuff and not become recluses playing video games in a basement.  
  • #GTchat - I learned more about Twitter and the power of networking with other educators.  #GTchat is a great place for me to talk to other educators that are passionate about gifted education.  My PLN has become a great place for me to learn and share and I am thankful for each one of them. 
  • Guadalajara Del Centro - Okay...so this is totally not related to the conference but this restaurant was amazing.  It was so good that we ate there BOTH nights!  If you are ever in downtown Houston, check them out!
There were so many great things at the conference this year that it would be impossible for me to share them all.  These are just a few that topped my list.  I had such wonderful time and can't wait for TAGT '14!






0 comments:

Post a Comment