Monday, December 29, 2014

One Word for 2015

As we begin to wrap up 2014, it's a great time to reflect and appreciate all of the wonderful things that happened this year.  However, it's also a wonderful opportunity to look forward to the wonderful things that 2015 is going to bring.  I love this time of year because it brings the excitement of the unknown, the opportunity to write a new chapter, and the challenge to make this year the best year yet.

Last year, I began participating in One Word to start off my new year.  One Word encourages us to choose one word to be our focus.  Last year, I chose change as my one word and often thought about this throughout the year.  I used the word to remind me of my goals and my desire to encourage change in our education system while making it a priority to change my own classroom to meet the needs of my students.

So, what's my word for 2015?  Drum roll please...my One Word for 2015 is brave.  I chose this word because I often struggle with fear and doubt.  I wonder if I can really make a difference, bring change, and give back to the world in the ways that I know that I should.

                                                             Image Source:  The Stir

This year, I plan on conquering this fear.  I will be brave enough to share my thoughts, stand up for what I know is right, and encourage others to do the same.  I've spent too much time wondering what it would be like to begin a speaking career, wishing I could share what I know with others, and wanting to influence other educators to look outside the walls of their classrooms in order to give their students the world.  So this year, I will be brave enough to pursue these ambitions.

I will not wonder if I'm good enough or smart enough.  Instead, I will remember that our students just need educators that are willing to stand up for what they need.  They need teachers to model that it's okay to fail and try again.  Our students need their teachers to be brave enough to do what has not been done, to try what has not be tried, and to find ways to make learning meaningful for them.

Bravery is inside of all of us.  It's just a matter of putting our fears behind us and looking forward to what lies ahead.   I'm excited about the new year and the opportunities that await.  I can't wait to see what 2015 holds for myself, my family, and my classroom.

Wishing you all an amazing year!  I look forward to continuing to learn with you in 2015.




0 comments:

Post a Comment